Monday, March 22, 2010

Let the Macaroni Wars Begin


Who doesn't like macaroni and cheese?
A few weeks ago I came across this macaroni recipe in a Southern Living cook book. I made it for dinner last week and thought it was very good, and easy.

Deluxe Macaroni and Cheese

1 (8 ounce) package of elbow macaroni
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 cups cottage cheese, I used low fat.( cottage cheese may scare some of you, I know my sons would run screaming from the table)
1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream. once again I use low fat.
3 Tablespoons minced onion
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup soft breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 tsp paprika

Cook macaroni until the noodles are firm but not too soft, drain well
Place macaroni, cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, onion, egg, salt, and pepper in a large bowl: stir gently to combine. Spoon macaroni mixture into a lightly greased 2-quart casserole.
Combine breadcrumbs, melted butter, and paprika in a small bowl, stirring well. Spread bread crumb mixture diagonally across the top of casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good to me, how many calories per serving? Did the cottage cheese kind of liquify after cooking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will have to be my next mac and cheese adventure.

    ReplyDelete