Friday, April 2, 2010

Peter Rabbit gives this two paws up!



Quick breads usually taste like cake to me and so I always feel a bit guilty eating them as if they were bread. This recipe takes away the guilt because it has grated carrots in it. Anything with grated carrots must be a healthy choice, right? I've also done some subsituting with oil and flours in this recipe attempting to make the bread even healthier. The subsitutions make for a dryer bread but still very tasty.

Banana Carrot Bread

2 cups of flour (sometimes I substitute some of the white flour with whole wheat flour, I say about 3/4 cup)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

1 cup (usually 2 bananas) mashed, ripe bananas.
1 cup sugar
3/4 vegetable oil (I substitute with a generous 1/4 cup canola oil and 1/2 cup of applesauce)
2 eggs (don't forget them, I did once; it was still eatable though.)
1 cup of finely grated, pared carrots
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Sift together flour baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside combine bananas, sugar, oil and eggs. Beat with electric mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in dry ingredients. Fold in carrots and pecans. Spread in greased and floured regular size loaf pan (I just spray the pan with cooking spray)

Bake at 350 degree oven for 55 minutes or until wooden toothpick comes out clean.

I don't have a very good oven, hence the big crack on top of the bread, it's not suppose to do that. It's not stopping me though, as I'm off to take a nibble with Peter.



1 comment:

  1. I am excited to see you posted this recipe on here because I was going to ask you for the recipe! This bread is highly addictive. Yummmm!!!

    ReplyDelete